Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where are you now?

I'VE BEEN doing some carpentry work for my old man the past few weeks to top up my savings before I go overseas. The other day I stumbled upon this old photograph while knocking out some decrepit bricks from around a fireplace in an old house. Don't ask me how it got there behind the brickwork. I'm not sure what it was about the image that got to me - maybe it was the fact this little guy (or is it a girl?) had his whole life ahead of him when the photo was taken. Or maybe it's his haunting stare. Whatever it was, it got me thinking: what has become of him?

I'm guessing the photo was taken in the 1970s (I enhanced the photo a bit which is why it doesn't look so old) which means 1. the kid would now most likely be in his late 30s (middle aged); and 2. poor old Whitey playfully posing in the foreground would've carked it decades ago. Does the guy now have kids? A good job? What about his dreams - did they ever eventuate? Or is he now stuck in a dead-end job with nothing to show for it, hating life like Lester Burnham in American Beauty? Is he even still alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment